Fire Drills & Evacuation
At UF Health Jacksonville there is an internal fire plan and external disaster plan. Drills are held periodically to familiarize each department and individual with the part they play should a real disaster or fire occur. Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the hospital fire and disaster plans and should have knowledge of what their responsibilities include during a disaster drill.
Fire and Evacuation
R - Rescue those in danger
A - Pull the alarm, dial 4-2222, Code Red, give location
C - Contain the fire
E - Evacuate or extinguish
Always use the proper fire extinguisher to fight fire:
Class ABC - All types of fires
Class B - (CO2) Flammable Liquids
Class C - (CO2) Electrical & Chemical Fires
Pull the pin, Aim at base of fire, Squeeze handle, Sweep side to side.
When a fire alarm sounds:
- Search the area you are in for fire and smoke.
- Close doors as rooms are searched.
- Stay where you are at until the alarm has silenced if you are in the hospital. Other areas, please evacuate building as in the Old Dialysis Building, Towers 1 and Tower 2 and POB Building.
- Use TEAMWORK.
- Do not panic.
- Compliance - all students are expected to participate in fire and evacuation drills.
Other Emergency Codes
- Code Blue: Cardiac or Respiratory Arrest - Call 244-2222 and give location and building
- Code Red: Call 244-2222 and give location and building
- Code Pink: Infant or child Abduction - Call 244-4211 and then call 244-2222
- Code Black: Bomb Threat - Call 244-4211
- Code White: Hostage – Call 244-4211 and then call 244-2222
- Code Green: Mass Casualty – Call 244-2222
- Code Orange: Hazardous Spill – Call 244-4211 and give location and substance spilled
- Code Brown: Severe Weather - Call 244-2222
- Code Yellow: Lock Down - Call 244-4211
- Code Grey: Security STAT – Call 244-4211
- Code Silver: Cognitively Impaired, Adult Patient - Call 244-4211
- Rapid Response Team: Call 244-2222