Michael O. Gayle, M.D.
Welcome to the website for the University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine.
The division staffs both a pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) and cardiovascular intensive care unit (CVICU) at Wolfson Children's Hospital. Eight pediatric critical care specialists provide 24-hour coverage to both the PICU and the CVICU. The Critical Care physicians are available throughout the hospital and provide phone consultations and support to outside physicians and facilities everyday.
We also provide rapid treatments in all areas of Critical Care, including post-op cardiovascular surgery, trauma, ECMO and advanced brain monitoring, just to name a few. A combination of UF pediatric residents, emergency medicine residents and pediatric critical care physician assistants and nurse practitioners provide in-house coverage at Wolfson Children's Hospital.
The mission of our division encompasses three major areas of emphasis:
- Patient care:
- Ensure the effective and efficient care of critically ill patients
- Provide continuously available patient care to critically ill or injured patients
- Coordinate the efficient utilization of bed space in intensive care units
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of ethical standards in the treatment of critically ill patients
- Provide leadership in the development of new critical care services
- In conjunction with other departments, participate actively in the quality assurance initiatives to improve the care of critically ill patients
- Medical Education:
- Serve as a resource to all UF College of Medicine-Jacksonville programs during the ICU rotation
- Provide instruction to non-physician health care professionals
- Conduct research related to the care of critically ill patients (see research page)
Our division is considered a community resource, participating in local educational activities, having academic representation at the national level, directing transports and providing elective procedural sedation.
To learn more about our division, explore our website further. If you have additional questions, contact us.
Michael O. Gayle, M.D.
Chief, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine; Chief, Division of Hospital Pediatrics; Medical Director, Transport Team; Medical Director, Wolfson Children's Hospital Outreach Program